From Klaus Kristiansen <k...@Q8.DK>
Subject Blank pdf from servlet
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 07:54:46 GMT

Hi

I am trying to get a servlet to produce pdf from data from a database. When
the servlet receives a request, it runs FOP (fop-0.20.5rc2), and outputs
this to the log:

[INFO] building formatting object tree
[INFO] setting up fonts
[INFO] [1]
[DEBUG] Last page-sequence produced 1 pages.
[INFO] Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer
[DEBUG] Initial heap size: 27343Kb
[DEBUG] Current heap size: 7130Kb
[DEBUG] Total memory used: -20213Kb
[DEBUG]   Memory use is indicative; no GC was performed
[DEBUG]   These figures should not be used comparatively
[DEBUG] Total time used: 2209ms
[DEBUG] Pages rendered: 1
[DEBUG] Avg render time: 2209ms/page

The browser starts Adobe Reader. But then it shows a blank page.

Here is the class that produces the pdf. It is a slight modification
of ExampleObj2PDF.java, included in fop-0.20.5rc2 :

package dk.q8.ssintra.priscirku;

import org.apache.fop.apps.Driver;
import org.apache.fop.messaging.MessageHandler;
import org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.ConsoleLogger;
import org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger;
import org.xml.sax.SAXException;

import javax.ejb.CreateException;
import javax.naming.NamingException;
import javax.xml.parsers.ParserConfigurationException;
import javax.xml.transform.*;
import javax.xml.transform.sax.SAXResult;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.OutputStream;
import java.io.File;
import java.io.FileOutputStream;
import java.sql.SQLException;

/**
 * Created by IntelliJ IDEA.
 * User: klkr
 * Date: 31-03-2003
 * Time: 15:40:28
 * Genererer PDF.
 */
public class CirkuPrinter {

  /**
   * Constructor.
   * @param xls Sti til filen hvor stylesheetet findes
   * @throws ParserConfigurationException Fra JAXP
   * @throws IOException Fra JAXP
   * @throws SAXException Fra JAXP
   */
  public CirkuPrinter(String xls) throws ParserConfigurationException,
IOException, SAXException {
    styleSheet = StyleSheetHandler.getStyleSheet(xls);
  }

  private Source styleSheet;

  /**
   * Udskriver PDF til out.
   * @param out Stream hvor cirkulæret udskrives
   * @throws IOException Ved fejl
   * @throws CreateException Fra EJB
   * @throws SQLException Fra EJB
   * @throws NamingException Fra EJB
   * @throws TransformerException Fra JAXP
   */
  public void print(OutputStream out) throws IOException, CreateException,
SQLException, NamingException, TransformerException {

    // Skaf data
    CiData data = DBConnection.findData();
    Source xml = CiData2XML.createSAXSource(data);

    Driver driver = new Driver();

    //Setup logger
    Logger logger = new ConsoleLogger(ConsoleLogger.LEVEL_DEBUG);
    driver.setLogger(logger);
    MessageHandler.setScreenLogger(logger);

    // Vi vil have PDF
    driver.setRenderer(Driver.RENDER_PDF);

    driver.setOutputStream(out);

    //Setup XSLT
    Transformer transformer = factory.newTransformer(styleSheet);

    //Resulting SAX events (the generated FO) must be piped through to FOP
    Result res = new SAXResult(driver.getContentHandler());

    //Start XSLT transformation and FOP processing
    transformer.transform(xml, res);

    out.flush();
  }

  /**
   * Til afprøvning.
   * @param args 0: stylesheet 1: outputfil
   * @throws Exception Når noget går galt.
   */
    CirkuPrinter p = new CirkuPrinter(args[0]);
    File fil = new File(args[1]);
    OutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(fil);
    p.print(out);
  }

}

When I run it from the command line, I get the expected pdf. If
I write plain text directly to the out parameter when run in the
servlet, the text appears in the browser.  What am I doing wrong?

Klaus Kristiansen