From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: Column / character width question
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 21:09:20 GMT
Ben Galbraith wrote:
> Well, I will wind up doing just that to simulate two columns within a
> block in the region-before, but unfortunately a table won't span a
> single block across two adjacent cells to simulate columns (right?). So,
> the code I'm writing needs to calculate when the text in the first cell
> needs to be split and and carried over to the next cell.
>
> In glancing at the code, it looks like I might be able to instantiate
> org.apache.fop.layout.LineArea (and some other FOP objects) in my own
> application to calculate the width of a line -- am I on the right track?

Wait a minute... Are you trying to do layout like in a newspaper? Where
the end of one column at the bottom of the page will "flow" to the top
of the next column? As far as I know (& I consider my knowledge of FOP a
bit above that of a newbie), that isn't supported in FOP. To do
something like newspaper columns you'd have to what you're talking
about: calculate the character or line width/height, create an algorithm
that determines where lines will break, and so on...this might've been
tackled before by someone on the list--I know it's been talked about.

> Also, if there's an alternate way to get what I want (a box at the top
> of the second page separate from the page body that has two columns of
> text) please do let me know.

As for flowing text in "a box at the top" (which I would refer to as
fo:region-before) from one page to the next, you can sort of do that
now. It's what happens when you have a region-before that is too short
for its content. However, it's not a "flow" but more like having
different content on the odd/even pages, as it will repeat. You could
almost as easily create odd & even page-masters.

Is this what you're talking about?
--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com