From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: Editable PDF forms.
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 17:35:51 GMT
Trevor,

Trevor Vaughan wrote:
> I don't think that it's the case that you can generate an editable pdf
> form from XSL-FO but if anyone has any techniques for doing so in post
> production, I would greatly appreciate the tips.  Or, I could just be
> wrong and it is possible (yes,no?)

I think you meant:

   Is it possible to use FOP to create an editable PDF form?

The answer, depends on what you mean by "form". As for the editable
part, I just opened up a PDF I created with FOP, and was able to edit it
with Adobe Acrobat (I'd never done that before--neat!).

However, if you're referring to creating a "form" with fields that
anyone with Adobe Acrobat *Reader* can use to modify or "fill out a
form" with, I believe the answer is no. I don't believe the current
XSL-FO spec on which FOP is based calls for including PDF form fields.

I understand, however, that there may be tools available that you can
use to post-process FOP pdf output to enable this type of thing.
Alternatively, you could create some sort of FOP Extension (fox:) which
creates the form "fields".

You might look here for more details:

http://exslfo.sourceforge.net/

If I'm wrong, I'm hoping someone will set me straight.

--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com