From "Illiano, Vincent" <ILLIA...@onyx.dcri.duke.edu>
Subject Balancing columns in a 2 column region
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2003 14:36:23 GMT
Hi All,

The main flow of my xsl:fo document has a column-count=2.  By using the
attribute span="none" or span="all" on fo:block's in my document, I can make
the block area use or not use the 2 columns.  So by toggling that span
attribute, I can get output that looks either like:

(span="all")
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

or:

(span="none")
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx	xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx	xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The question I have concerns the balancing of the columns in the span="none"
case.  I've noticed that fop always puts about 2x as much data into the
first column as the second.  I'd like the balancing to be closer to 1-1.  Is
that possible?  Is there an attribute that can be set on the flow?  Any
guidance on this would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks, -V

Vincent Illiano
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Duke University Heart Center