From "Teator, Michael" <mtea...@tjctechnology.com>
Subject Font encoding types
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 14:11:35 GMT
Our user's printer/acrobatreader crashing problems have been corrected by
switching to encoding the fonts in the WinAnsi format.

The downside of this is the increased filesize since the entire font is
being embedded.  This is compounded with the 200K+ to embed the Helvetica
font since for some reason too many users get error messages it's missing if
it's not embedded.

However, the former process before FOP was introduced into the mix did an
embedded subset without the same problems we have with the files produced
from FOP.  The difference I've noted is that FOP uses an encoding type of
'Identity-H' and the working files use an encoding type of 'Custom'.  The
working files were produced out of Quark.  Most of the error messages with
the 'Identity-H' files are of the invalid CMAP variety.

What's the difference and is there any workaround?

Michael Teator
mteator@tjctechnology.com