From "Partridge, Michael" <michael.partri...@ebenx.com>
Subject RE: lining up amounts w/ and w/o parentheses
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2003 15:07:47 GMT
Wow! Thanks for all the responses on this problem! Clay, I tried your
first suggestion - putting the value with extra space at the end inside
an inline, but the space was still lost. Jeremias, thanks for your
suggestion regarding kerning. I'll be trying that out next. Victor,
thank you also for your suggestion of adding a padding column and
putting the end paren therein; that will probably be the most robust
solution, if not the quickest. And Clay, your last suggestion is also
very helpful. Now I just have to decide which is best for me. Thanks
again for all the help!

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Clay Leeds [mailto:cleeds@medata.com]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 9:53 AM
To: fop-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: lining up amounts w/ and w/o parentheses

On 6/7/2003 8:34 AM, Victor Mote wrote:
> What you really want here is to align on the decimal point, but
according to
> http://xml.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-property-text-align
> text-align=<string> is not yet supported. The best workaround that I
can
> think of is to put your trailing ending parentheses into a separate
table
> cell, which is aligned /left/.

You could also put parentheses around *everything* but make the
parentheses for positive numbers the same color as your background-color

(white if there is no background-color). Of course, it would get more
challenging if you alternate the background-color of table-rows, but
there are solutions to that as well. Unfortunately, the parentheses
would be present in the PDF files if someone were to select and copy the

text but if you're just "printing" you're OK.
--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com