From "Chris Pratt" <chr...@planetpratt.com>
Subject Re: PDF Forms
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:37:45 GMT
Johannes Stuermer wrote:
> If your data source are xml documents, one way to streamline this process
> would be to use a stylesheet editor such as XMLSpy to automatically
generate
> the XSL-FO file that can then be consumed by a simple XSL-FO>FO>PDF
pipline,
> using FOP. If you need to personalize the PDF at run-time, you can
> manipulate the xml source file before you transform it using XSL-FO.
>
> I'm generating large and complex PDF documents (100-300) pages in 10 - 30
> seconds using a single Linux box running a J2EE app server.

I'd like to understand what could be so different between our two apps.  I
am running FOP 0.20.5 on Sun JDK 1.4.2_03 on Windows NT.  When I run our
largest document, (125 pages) through fop on the command line, it pegs the
processor at 100%, takes 156MB of heap and takes 1 minute 15 seconds to
finish.  If I just had to run one of these, once in a while it wouldn't be a
problem, but this has to be dynamically generated by a servlet and returned
to the user in real time and when it pegs the processor and takes up much of
the heap allocated to the VM it causes problems with all the other users of
the system.  Is there anything anyone can think of that might cause such a
massive difference in the time it takes to produce large documents?  Any
help would be massively appreciated.
  (*Chris*)

PDF