From John Austin <jwaus...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: How Generate .fo file from PDF?
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:03:52 GMT
On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 13:21, Robert Paris wrote:
> >Probably not in any realistically useful way. People on this list
> >can point you to software that can read the text in a PDF. From that
> >point you could start to construct XML files, but this is probably
> >not something you want to undertake lightly.

> Thanks, I would like to hear about those other options from people.

I thought somebody would. There are libraries that help you read from
PDF. As an example, Google search results for PDF files usually have
an option to view the file as a PDF. That conversion is half the battle.
You can convert the HTML to XHTML (if necessary) and that is easily
transformed to XSL-FO according to another thread of this week.

Of course, your document won't be in a helpfully structured XML form.

> Can you also tell me why you think it's unlikely to be useful? Why is it so
> hard to go back to "fo" or XML from PDF if the PDF structure fits so well
> with fo/xml?

There was a thread about this last year:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listId=64&by=thread&from=486484

The conclusion seems to be 'don't even think about it'.

Of course, you may have no choice.
--
John Austin <jwaustin@sympatico.ca>