From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: Running fop in memory
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:08:28 GMT
You might want to check out our standard servlet. It should be easily
deployed in a web container such as Tomcat or Jetty. When you've done
that you can probably (haven't done this myself) use a simple HTTP
command-line client to create and fetch your PDFs. That way, you start a
server that has FOP warmed up in memory and will allow you to create
your PDFs a lot faster.

See documentation at:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/servlets.html

Tomcat can be found here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/

I hope this helps.

On 13.02.2004 08:25:15 Stefan Le Jeune wrote:
> I've been reading the archives and help but can't work out where to start so I hope someone
can send me in the right direction.

> I've been running fop-0.20.5 for about 6 months in the following format to create PDF
files:
> I run a 4GL program that drops out to the Operating System (Solaris 2.7 / 8) and calls:
>
> /usr/local/fop-0.20.5/fop.sh -q -xsl XSLFile.xsl -xml XMLfile.xml -pdf PDFoutput.pdf
>> /tmp/fop.log.
>
> This is taking around 10-15 seconds for each PDF(around 1-2 pages) I create.  As has
been pointed out in previous posts, this is
> because the java libraries need to be loaded.  Now I have more PDFs to create and I need
to speed up the process.

> My question:
> Can I write a fop script that would start in memory with all the libraries and I could
call that instead?  Has anyone written
> something similar? Does anyone understand what I want to do?
>
> Please note my java knowledge is zero.  I have a little scripting experience.  So be
easy on me please!

Jeremias Maerki