From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: PDF Forms
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 20:00:46 GMT
Chris Pratt wrote:
> I'm using FOP 0.20.5 and I've coded myself into a corner.  We generate some
> rather large PDF files using fop (lists of every eye doctor in California
> for example), which can be very processor and very memory intensive.  To
> limit the overhead I wrote a caching scheme that caches the complete PDF
> files for easy re-use.  Worked really well until the powers that be decided
> that each of the PDF's needed to be personalized.
>
> Looking around for an alternative to just removing the caching, I found PDF
> Forms which would probably do the job.  I don't expect that FOP has any
> ability to fill in forms of already generated PDF Forms, but I was hoping
> that it might have the ability to generate them.  Does anyone have a clue
> how I might go about this?  Or maybe an altogether better way of solving the
> problem?  Thanks.
>   (*Chris*)

There was an extension floating around two years ago which allowed
to inject raw PDF through FOP into the result. The originator used
this basically to create PDF forms. Of course, you'll have to invest
some time to grok the PDF spec. Check the FOP list archive.

Alternatively, you can try to postprocess pregenerated PDF with
another tool. Check the FOP website (FAQ) for hints.

J.Pietschmann