From "Peter B. West" <pbw...@powerup.com.au>
Subject Re: Footnotes on the following page
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 14:31:34 GMT
Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Readman, Devon wrote:
>
>> Here is the block of the stylesheet that is used to generate
>> footnotes...it
>> first tests if the current element has an attribute (id) and if a child
>> elements exist (name & note...note is the element to be placed in the
>> footnote):
>

> Looks like youve defined your footnote within a marker. What is the
> expected behaviour here? Are you expecting a footnote on the page where
> the static content retrieves the marker, or are you expecting the
> footnote to appear on the page where it is defined in the marker?
>
> Footnotes are a bit of a mess in FOP, and so its no surprise that when
> you try to do advanced things like this, the behaviour is not as
> expected. I'm guessing that you'll need to settle for footnotes defined
> out of a marker, just in the regular flow.

It is actually illegal to define a footnote within a marker.

 From the 1.1 Draft.
6.12.3 fo:footnote
Constraints
It is an error if the fo:footnote occurs as a descendant of a flow that
is not assigned to a region-body, or of an fo:block-container that
generates absolutely positioned areas. In either case, the block-areas
generated by the fo:footnote-body child of the fo:footnote shall be
returned to the parent of the fo:footnote and placed in the area tree as
though they were normal block-level areas.

Peter