From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Batch Generation of PDF's
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 10:32:23 GMT
Adrian Sobotta wrote:

<snip/>

> My problem however is that it slowly it eats up more and more memory. So
> after 500 pdf's or so its used more then the 500MB that I'm allowing the
> JVM to use and it dies with the following error:
>

> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
>
>         <<no stack trace available>>

Have you read through the advice on memory:

http://xml.apache.org/fop/running.html#memory

> Has anyone else successfully generated many PDF's in a batch like this?
> And if so did you have to do something to keep the memory from creeping
> upwardly? Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to make
> sure each iteration of the loop and hence each PDF doesn’t result in
> things being left in memory?

Yes we can sucessfully generate many thousands of documents without
memory blowing up. If memory is gradually increasing then it does point
to a memory leak somewhere. Check your own code throughly for unclosed
outputstreams/database connections and other objects you might be
holding onto.

Chris