From "Peter B. West" <pbw...@powerup.com.au>
Subject Re: Footnotes on the following page
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:48:29 GMT
Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Peter B. West wrote:
>
>> Chris Bowditch wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like youve defined your footnote within a marker. What is the
>>> expected behaviour here? Are you expecting a footnote on the page
>>> where the static content retrieves the marker, or are you expecting
>>> the footnote to appear on the page where it is defined in the marker?
>

> <snip/>
>

>> It is actually illegal to define a footnote within a marker.
>

> Thanks for clarifying Peter.
>

>>  From the 1.1 Draft.
>> 6.12.3 fo:footnote
>> Constraints
>> It is an error if the fo:footnote occurs as a descendant of a flow
>> that is not assigned to a region-body, or of an fo:block-container
>> that generates absolutely positioned areas. In either case, the
>> block-areas generated by the fo:footnote-body child of the fo:footnote
>> shall be returned to the parent of the fo:footnote and placed in the
>> area tree as though they were normal block-level areas.

Chris,

I should have added the following from the Rec on fo:marker and
fo:retrieve-marker.

"6.13.5 fo:marker
An fo:marker may contain any formatting objects that are permitted as a
replacement of any fo:retrieve-marker or fo:retrieve-table-marker that
retrieves the fo:marker's children."

and

"6.13.6 fo:retrieve-marker
Constraints:

An fo:retrieve-marker is only permitted as the descendant of an
fo:static-content.

The fo:retrieve-marker specifies that the children of a selected
fo:marker shall be formatted as though they replaced the
fo:retrieve-marker in the formatting tree."

The implication to me of the combination is that the contents of
fo:marker are under the same constraints as the fo:retrieve-marker; that
they are not, in formatting terms, descendants of an fo:flow, but of an
fo:static-content, destined for a region other than fo:region-body.

In other words, the fo:marker ancestor of the fo:footnote is "not
assigned to a region-body."

Peter