From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Misaligned text columns
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:55:53 GMT
FBartlet@wiley.com wrote:

> I'm trying to set a document in two columns using fop (0.20.5).
> Unfortunately, when the two columns do not have exactly the same amount of
> material, the baselines of the first lines of the two columns do not align.
> They can be as much as 1.5 lines off.

I cant think of a workaround in the general sense.

You could try placing your content into a table, starting a new row for
each paragraph and using keep-together="always" on the rows. That way
the top of each column would always start with a new paragraph and the
baseline alignment may be improved.

Another technique is to try to guess when a column has been filled and
place break-after="column" at appropriate places in the XSL-FO during
XSLT processing. Very messy I know...

> fop does not seem to have implemented .minimum and .maximum (or
> .conditionality or .precedence) in space-before and space-after, so the
> vertical spaces in the columns are constant rather than mutable. This seems
> to be at least part of the problem; leastwise, mucking about with 'stretch'
> and 'shrink' values doesn't seem to help..
>
> Neither does giving a value to display-align in the region-body make any
> difference.

display-align is only implemented in block-containers and table cells.

> I'm rather mystified, since my reading of the XSL spec and Pawson's book
> gives me no clue how I could achieve this effect if I wanted to.

They wouldnt give you any pointers to solve this problem, because they
are written in general XSL-FO terms, with a fully compliant XSL-FO
formatter in mind. In other words they are not written specifically for
FOP users.

Chris