From "Nicholson, Robb" <robb.nichol...@frontiercorp.com>
Subject RE: running "FOP -xml 1.xml -xsl 2.xsl -print" programmatically
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:02:57 GMT
Are you starting with XML/XSL or starting with PDF?

If you are generating the PDF's from XML/XSL, I would consider generating
PCL or PostScript instead if it is an option for you.

I am using FOP right now as part of a server-side printing project (no AWT
options). I get XML from a database, pull a bunch of stylesheets from a
webserver, run FOP (embedded, not calling Runtime) to generate PCL files,
then use the standard javax.printing.* API's to print the resulting files.

I couldn't find any (free) way to print PDF's from Java without calling
Runtime stuff, which would break portability. I develop on Jboss on Windows
2000, but test and production is Jboss on Linux, so this had to be 100% Java
solution.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert.Walker@VerizonWireless.com
[mailto:Robert.Walker@VerizonWireless.com]
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 11:42 AM
To: fop-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: running "FOP -xml 1.xml -xsl 2.xsl -print" programmatically

Hi all, in order to do a batch print of pdf files that
are on my customers local pc, I would like to run
the equivalent of

"FOP -xml 1.xml -xsl 2.xsl -print"
programmatically, is there another way than resorting to a
Runtime.getRuntime().exec("..")

this is what I am thinking I have to do, but would prefer to
do this from java without using runtime.exec
String printPdfCmd = "FOP -xml 1.xml -xsl 2.xsl -print";
Runtime runtime = Runtime.getRuntime();
Process proc = runtime.exec(printPdfCmd);