From Johannes Stuermer <jstuer...@lrn.com>
Subject RE: PDF Forms
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:54:18 GMT
If your data source are xml documents, one way to streamline this process
would be to use a stylesheet editor such as XMLSpy to automatically generate
the XSL-FO file that can then be consumed by a simple XSL-FO>FO>PDF pipline,
using FOP. If you need to personalize the PDF at run-time, you can
manipulate the xml source file before you transform it using XSL-FO.

I'm generating large and complex PDF documents (100-300) pages in 10 - 30
seconds using a single Linux box running a J2EE app server.

I am not affiliated with the company that developed XMLSpy. There might well
be other stylesheet editors that generate XSL-FO output.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Pratt [mailto:chrisp@planetpratt.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 11:34 AM
To: fop-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: PDF Forms

I'm using FOP 0.20.5 and I've coded myself into a corner.  We generate some
rather large PDF files using fop (lists of every eye doctor in California
for example), which can be very processor and very memory intensive.  To
limit the overhead I wrote a caching scheme that caches the complete PDF
files for easy re-use.  Worked really well until the powers that be decided
that each of the PDF's needed to be personalized.

Looking around for an alternative to just removing the caching, I found PDF
Forms which would probably do the job.  I don't expect that FOP has any
ability to fill in forms of already generated PDF Forms, but I was hoping
that it might have the ability to generate them.  Does anyone have a clue
how I might go about this?  Or maybe an altogether better way of solving the
problem?  Thanks.
  (*Chris*)