From Johannes Stuermer <jstuer...@lrn.com>
Subject RE: PDF Forms
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:54:44 GMT
I'm not sure what could cause this relatively slow performance. I'm not an
expert on FOP, I can only talk about my experience using it.

It can't be the hardware or the app server that make the difference because
I'm using JDK 1.3.1 on Windows2000 (PIII600, 256MB) on my dev box to run FOP
from the command line and I'm getting essentially the same performance as on
the Linux box, which has more memory and throughput.
At run-time, I'm following the tips on improving performance documented at:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/embedding.html#performance

If you are getting the same slow performance by running FOP from the command
line, I'm guessing the performance hit occurs because of the composition of
the FO file. There are some good suggestion on the apache/fop site, such as
http://xml.apache.org/fop/running.html#memory but I think your best bet is
to do a few simple benchmark tests on your system with FO files of different
degrees of complexity. Start with an extremely simple FO file with a few
dozen pages, measure the rendering time and then increase the complexity
step by step while you keep the page count constant. This should tell you
where you get the performance hit.
In my experience, an FO file of medium complexity, example: a two column and
header/footer layout with several nested tables, a few jpg/gif images
(together <50k for each page), but no vector graphics should process at 5 -
10 pages per second. If you are not an FO expert, I would avoid hand-crafted
FO files for this test. Rather use something like XMLSpy to create the FO
files.

I hope this helps.
Johannes