From "Robert Paris" <rpj...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: How Generate .fo file from PDF?
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:56:48 GMT
>http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listId=64&by=thread&from=486484
>
>The conclusion seems to be 'don't even think about it'.

Of course - it didn't dawn on me that PDF's have everything absolutely
positioned - basically as though it were an image (of course with vector
graphics). Yikes.

Here's the problem/need. I have users who know how to create PDFs and MS
Word documents (only by using MS Word though). They CANNOT use XML or
anything remotely like they - they need buttons to click and boxes to fill
out. However, they need to be able to create templates for future PDFs (to
be run through my program) from the Word or PDF documents they created. In
other words, they can tell me, "This is what I want it to look like," only
by showing me the actual Word or PDF document. Then they have every section
of text as changeable (that part's not a problem). HOWEVER, they need to be
able to do this in real time - without needing to have me create an XML file
that does what their PDF/Word doc has.

The problem is I don't know of any Word reader that's really working
(Apache's POI Word is not working), and from what you're telling me, reverse
engineering a PDF is pretty much impossible. Does anyone have a solution?