From "Adrian Sobotta" <asobo...@internet.org.au>
Subject Batch Generation of PDF's
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 09:15:06 GMT
Hi,

I've been creating PDF's with FOP for a while now, and recently I've had to
create 1000+ every night in a batch process based on values in a database.
So I have written a class which queries the database and passes all the
necessary parameters (like which XSL file, XML file, and config file to use,
and PDF file to write to) to an edited version of the Example class that
comes with fop-0.20.5 (embedding\ExampleXML2PDF.java). So I instantiate that
class in my new class which queries the database, and in a
while(rs.next()){} loop it just calls the method in the Example class 1000+
times.

My problem however is that it slowly it eats up more and more memory. So
after 500 pdf's or so its used more then the 500MB that I'm allowing the JVM
to use and it dies with the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

        <<no stack trace available>>

Has anyone else successfully generated many PDF's in a batch like this? And
if so did you have to do something to keep the memory from creeping
upwardly? Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to make sure
each iteration of the loop and hence each PDF doesn't result in things being
left in memory?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Adrian.