From "DURAND, Bertrand - DSIA" <Bertrand.DUR...@hays-dsia.fr>
Subject Réf. : Running fop in memory
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:28:39 GMT
				Hi

				you should first convert your XML file with your XSL template using Xalan (or Saxon) to
create FO file
				and next use FOP with the comand line :
					FOP -fo FOFile.fo -pdf PDFoutput

				you can check this link  : http://xml.apache.org/fop/running.html#check-input

				And if your XSL template is the same for all (or many of report) you should cached the
template and not reading it each time
				but in this case you have to write some java code ...
				you can see this link (example 1) : http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/xsltc_usage.html#api

				I can generate 1 or 2 pages in less than 1 seconde and 3500 pages in 4 minutes ...

				Bertrand

	Stefan Le Jeune <stefan@mip.co.za>
			13/02/2004 08:25
			Veuillez répondre à fop-user

	Pour :	fop-user@xml.apache.org@SMTP@Hays Hub
	cc :
	Objet :	Running fop in memory

				Hi,

				I've been reading the archives and help but can't work out where to start so I hope someone
can send me in the right direction.

				I've been running fop-0.20.5 for about 6 months in the following format to create PDF
files:
				I run a 4GL program that drops out to the Operating System (Solaris 2.7 / 8) and calls:

				/usr/local/fop-0.20.5/fop.sh -q -xsl XSLFile.xsl -xml XMLfile.xml -pdf PDFoutput.pdf >>
/tmp/fop.log.

				This is taking around 10-15 seconds for each PDF(around 1-2 pages) I create.  As has been
pointed out in previous posts, this is
				because the java libraries need to be loaded.  Now I have more PDFs to create and I need
to speed up the process.

				My question:
				Can I write a fop script that would start in memory with all the libraries and I could
call that instead?  Has anyone written
				something similar? Does anyone understand what I want to do?

				Please note my java knowledge is zero.  I have a little scripting experience.  So be easy
on me please!

				Thanks,
				Stefan

				Stefan Le Jeune               Tel : +27 (0)21 423 1877
				Technical Consultant          Fax : +27 (0)21 423 1880
				MIP Holdings (Pty) Ltd.       Cell: +27 (0)83 324 9868

				M Floor, Glaston House        _____/\/********\/\_____
				63 Church Street
				Cape Town 8001
				South Africa                  http://www.mip.co.za

				______________________________________
				This e-mail may contain confidential information and may be legally
				privileged and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If
				you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you may not use,
				distribute or copy this document in any manner whatsoever. Kindly also
				notify the sender immediately by telephone, and delete the e-mail. When
				addressed to clients of the company from where this e-mail originates ("the
				sending company ") any opinion or advice contained in this e-mail is subject
				to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable terms of business or
				client engagement letter . The sending company does not accept liability for
				any damage, loss or expense arising from this e-mail and/or from the
				accessing of any files attached to this e-mail.

Ce message électronique et tous les fichiers attachés qu'il contient sont confidentiels
et destinés exclusivement à l'usage de la personne à laquelle ils sont adressés.
Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur,merci de le retourner à son émetteur.
Les idées et opinions présentées dans ce messages sont celles de son auteur, et ne représentent
pas nécessairement celles du Groupe HAYS plc ou d'une quelconque de ses filiales.
La publication, l'usage, la distribution, l'impression ou la copie non autorisée de ce message
et des attachements qu'il contient sont strictement interdits.

Nous vous informons également que nous avons vérifié l'absence de virus dans ce message
mais que, malgré ce contrôle, nous ne saurions être tenus pour responsables d'éventuels
dégâts occasionnés par un virus non détecté.

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed.
If you have received this email in error please send it back to the person that sent it to
you.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of author and do not necessarily represent
those the HAYS plc group or any of its subsidiary companies.
Unauthorized publication, use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email
and its associated attachments is strictly prohibited.

We also inform you that we have checked that this message does not contain any virus but we
decline any responsability in case of any damage caused by an a non detected virus.