From Jens Porup <j...@cyber.com.au>
Subject pan.oasis: ConnectionTimedOut ?
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 02:24:58 GMT

G'day,

I am trying to get fop running in Debian, and when I try to convert my docbook
test files, I get the errors below.

My first thought was that my DTD declaration was bad. But I can pull up the
following DTD in a browser with no trouble:

	<?xml version="1.0" encoding='UTF-8'?>
	<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
	"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd">

My second thought is that oasis is redirecting me to a dodgy internal
server called pan. (netstat shows a connection to pan.oasis-open.org on
port 80) This seems unlikely--any ideas?

A google for this turned up the possibility that it's some sort of
memory error with the JVM, and I tried to add JAVA_OPTS=-server -Xms128m
-Xmx256m as an environment variable. I gather this increases something
called the "heap size". This made no difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jens

(Error report follows:)

$ make fop_test
cd tech_spec; fop -d ../tech_spec.xml -pdf tech_spec.pdf; cd -
[DEBUG] Input mode:
[DEBUG] FO
[DEBUG] fo input file: ../tech_spec.xml
[DEBUG] Output mode:
[DEBUG] pdf
[DEBUG] output file: tech_spec.pdf
[DEBUG] OPTIONS
[DEBUG] no user configuration file is used [default]
[DEBUG] debug mode on
[DEBUG] dump configuration
[DEBUG] quiet mode on
[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[INFO] base directory: file:/home/jensp/amhocn/doc/tech_spec/../
[INFO] FOP 0.20.5
[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[INFO] building formatting object tree
[INFO] setting up fonts
[ERROR] Connect timed out
org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: Connect timed out
at org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.render (Driver.java:507)
at org.apache.fop.apps.CommandLineStarter.run
(CommandLineStarter.java:106)
at org.apache.fop.apps.Fop.main (Fop.java:62)

---------

java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Connect timed out
at gnu.java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect (PlainSocketImpl.java)
at gnu.java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect (PlainSocketImpl.java:83)
at java.net.Socket.connect (Socket.java:432)
at java.net.Socket.connect (Socket.java:394)
at java.net.Socket.<init> (Socket.java:302)
at java.net.Socket.<init> (Socket.java:159)
at gnu.java.net.protocol.http.Connection.connect
(Connection.java:165)
at
gnu.java.net.protocol.http.Connection.getInputStream
(Connection.java:371)
at java.net.URL.openStream (URL.java:666)
at
org.apache.xerces.readers.DefaultReaderFactory.createReader
(DefaultReaderFactory.java)
at
org.apache.xerces.readers.DefaultEntityHandler.startReadingFromExternalEntity
(DefaultEntityHandler.java)
at
org.apache.xerces.readers.DefaultEntityHandler.startReadingFromExternalSubset
(DefaultEntityHandler.java)
at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDTDScanner.scanDoctypeDecl
(XMLDTDScanner.java)
at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.scanDoctypeDecl
(XMLDocumentScanner.java)
at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.access$0
(XMLDocumentScanner.java)
at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$PrologDispatcher.dispatch
(XMLDocumentScanner.java)
at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome
(XMLDocumentScanner.java)
at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse
(XMLParser.java)
at
org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.render
(Driver.java:498)
[...]