From Christian Hattemer <c.hatte...@arcor.de>
Subject Image Size Calculations
Date Sun, 06 Jun 2004 22:13:38 GMT
Hi,

I was able to work around the object-too-large bug by using a larger page
size. In the PDF the images have the wrong resolutions and look
ugly. (Read on, it's a slightly different question than usual)

The images are a bunch of line drawings and other illustrations from a
website I converted into DocBook.

The DocBook stylesheets include the images like this:
<fo:external-graphic src="url(images/NetworkModel/Basics/BachmanDiagram.GIF)" width="319px"
height="159px" content-width="auto" content-height="auto"/>

So the image dimensions are specified. But it seems the unit "px" isn't
enough to make the images look nice. Looking at the "Graphics Resolution"
section it seems that the dimensions should be specified in inches to
stop using the default 72 dpi.

This leads to the question: How can I find out the actual resolution of my
images and calculate the dimensions in inches? Do I have to modify the
generated fo afterwards to include the calculated dimensions?

Bye, Chris