From "Peter B. West" <pbw...@tpg.com.au>
Subject Re: Where to download high-quality fonts
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:31:36 GMT
J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Paul Tremblay wrote:
>
>> So what exactly is a font? I thought a font was more like a data file.
>

> Well, a program is a data file, interpreted by the processor. You know,
> there's always a level where the distinction between programs and data
> is blurry.
> In terms of copyright, the distinction doesn't matter all that much
> anyway.
>
>> I thought the rendering of the font was done by the program. Also, what
>> exactly is hinting? Is that not some technique to make a font look
>> better?
>

> It is a technique which makes scaled down glyphs look better. Remember,
> TrueType fonts are used to generate glyph bitmaps for arbitrary glyph
> sizes. Hints are used to change the glyph locally to minimize artifacts
> caused by mapping the shape to pixels. For example take the upper case
> letter "T". If the stroke thickness gets down to the range of a single
> pixel, the joint of the two lines of the T might start looking more
> black and somewhat like a knot. A hint causes the renderer to lighten
> the zone up.
>
>> If a font is a set of data (as opposed to a program), it seems in the
>> interest of the open source community to develop some type of open font
>> format.
>

> Why? The TTF and OTF formats are already open. The problem are the
> software patents related to the bytecode interpreter which requires font
> *rendering programs* to ask for a license. See also
>  http://www.freetype.org/patents.html
>
>> [snip search for free fonts]
>
> Ghostscript and KDE come with completely free fonts, and I've seen
> TTF conversion for them. I'm just too lazy right know to search through
> their distributions for the actual font names and fedd this into Google.
> I als vaguely remember that the Lucid TTF included in Sun's JDK (perhaps
> Linux only) doesn't have license restrictions.

Just realised that I have been unsubscribed from fop-user for some time
thanks to the flood of spam and spurious mail delivery error messages.
Grumble, grumble...

The American Mathematical Society has the copyright on the Computer
Modern fonts. http://www.ams.org/tex/type1-fonts.html

These are available in Type 1 format.  In addition, there are
AMS-developed fonts for mathematics.

Peter