From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Image Size Calculations
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2004 09:13:00 GMT
Christian Hattemer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was able to work around the object-too-large bug by using a larger page
> size. In the PDF the images have the wrong resolutions and look
> ugly. (Read on, it's a slightly different question than usual)

Hidding objects that are too large is not necessarily a bug. The XSL-FO spec
has several options for dealing with objects that are too large in the
overflow property. FOP defaults to "hidden" and doesnt implement the other
overflow options.

> The images are a bunch of line drawings and other illustrations from a
> website I converted into DocBook.
>
> The DocBook stylesheets include the images like this:
> <fo:external-graphic src="url(images/NetworkModel/Basics/BachmanDiagram.GIF)" width="319px"
height="159px" content-width="auto" content-height="auto"/>

> So the image dimensions are specified. But it seems the unit "px" isn't
> enough to make the images look nice. Looking at the "Graphics Resolution"
> section it seems that the dimensions should be specified in inches to
> stop using the default 72 dpi.

Thats right pixel measurements are not enough information for FOP to scale the
image to a fixed size. FOP would need to know a resolution as well, but that
isnt implemented right now. The only way FOP will scale the image to a
particular size is if you tell FOP the measurement.

> This leads to the question: How can I find out the actual resolution of my
> images and calculate the dimensions in inches? Do I have to modify the
> generated fo afterwards to include the calculated dimensions?

Dont you know the resolution of the images? It is difficult for me to answer
this question as I dont know where you get the images from. In my environment,
the system responsible for generating the images stores the measurements in
cm/mm/inches along with the resolution and the image itself.

Chris