From Dave_S_Wh...@KeyBank.com
Subject Re: BUG in static content layout?
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2004 19:49:58 GMT

Clay, ( and all )

THANK YOU!

Although I had scoured my FO for any extraneous blocks, I had never
considered the possibility of whitespace being a problem in the FO (
assumed it would all be ignored). I had even tried 0.20.5, same issue is in
there. I even went on to try and download the dev stream from CVS... ( that
story for another day :) )

I added an xsl:strip-space... into my XSL that produces the FO, and all is
well with the static area again.

I had literally been wrestling with this problem for a few days, and tried
everything I could think of.

Thanks again,
dave

                      cleeds@medata.com

                                               To:       fop-user@xml.apache.org

                      06/02/2004 10:42         cc:

                      AM                       Subject:  Re: BUG in static content layout?

                      Please respond to

                      fop-user

Dave,

On Jun 2, 2004, at 5:15 AM, Dave_S_White@KeyBank.com wrote:
> I'm using fop 0.20.4 and getting some very strange behavior with the
> layout of static content. I have a 5 page document that is very tight
> on space ( .25 inch margins, .375 in footer, for example). I have a
> footer that occupies .25in when drawn that I am putting in a
> region-after whose extent is .375in. I also have a conditional page
> master in place separating page 1 from 2-5. I am getting a warning
> that states "Some static content could not fit in area" although it
> draws the content on page 1, 2, and 4. The strange part is that I get
> the warning after page 2, then page 3 get's no content drawn in the
> region-after. Likewise with page 4 and 5 ( 4 gets the warning, 5 gets
> no content).
>
>  If I make my region after extent very large ( 1in ), all warnings go
> away, and all footers are drawn, but the document layout cannot
> support this.
>
>  It seems to me like there is a problem in the way the size of the
> region-after content is being determined, and sometimes the
> calcualtion is off by enough that it will not even attempt to draw
> anything.... This is, of course, just a guess.
>
>  This is a showstopper for me and I've been struggling with it for
> several days, any thoughts?

This sounds to me like your region-after has some extra content in it
(perhaps an extra fo:block, or something out side of the fo:block). As
you probably already know, when there is extra content in a static
region-before or region-after, it 'flows' to the 'next' page. This
could explain why it goes away when you increase the size. In addition,
if you change your output mode from AWT to PDF (or vice versa), the
font metrics change somewhat (AWT has taller line-height in my
experience), exacerbating the problem.

I have a few suggestions:
- analyze the offending region-after to ensure there's no whitespace
(put the entire region-before block all on one line with no spaces or
carriage returns between--there may be whitespace which shouldn't be
used, that *is* being used in the calculation of the layout)
- upgrade to fop-0.20.5
- make certain the fo:region-body margin-bottom matches the
fo:region-after extent
- increase the fo:region-after extent from .375 to .38 or .39 or .5

Hope this helps!

Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com
--
Web Developer - Medata, Inc. - <http://www.medata.com/>