From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Footer placement...
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:15:34 GMT
Anil R. Pinto wrote:

<snip/>

> But with the marker approach I noticed that the footer area has to be
> allocated to the other pages (using the layout and region-after values
> applicable to the pages) irrespective. So, untimately although no footer is
> printed on the middle pages, the area is consumed by a blank portion and so
> paper will not really be saved (the main intention of this exercise :-) )

Sounds to me like you can fulfill your requirement using a footnote. A
footnote only takes up space if present. So just put a footnote in your last
paragraph and it should appear at the bottom of the last page. No need to
define a region-after.

The only problem with footnotes is that they are a bit buggy in current
version of FOP. Certain scenarios may produce strange effects, e.g. if last
paragraph in document happens to be at bottom of page, then there will be room
for footnote. What should happen is FOP should move last paragraph to next
page along with footnote, but I dont think this works.

Chris