From "Ma, Liang" <Liang...@space.gc.ca>
Subject RE: fo failed to process Unicode CJK in servlet
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:24:55 GMT
Hi Pietschmann,

Look at what I got from tomcat community.

As the stack trace shows, the exception is in the FOP classes.  So the
amount of blame you can give Tomcat, and the amount of help you can get
on this list, are both severely limited.

However, just out of curiosity I went to FOP's CVS repository, to try to
find the Service or Driver classes that are in the relevant part of your
stack trace.  I couldn't.  Why aren't they at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-fop/src/java/org/apache/fop/apps/?
If you're using an old version of FOP, the amount of support you can get
here is even more limited.

>root cause
>
>java.lang.NullPointerException
>	at org.apache.fop.apps.Service.providers(Driver.java:597)
>	at
org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.setupDefaultMappings(Driver.java:319)

However, speaking generically without knowing FOP internals well (though
I've used it in the past): if it works the 2nd time, as you say, that
must mean the Service class has initialized itself properly.  And that
definitely suggests the bug is in FOP itself, if there's a bug at all.
Perhaps some explicit programmatic initialization (e.g. a setClassloader
call) is needed to make FOP work the first time.
=== end of the reply ===

The fop I use is version 0.20.5, which is the latest one I can find in the
download site. Why can we not find the classes Service and Driver reported
in the exception?

Liang MA
Software Analyst
RADARSAT Mission Control Centre