From "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject RE: font weight & style
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:02:16 GMT

Hi Mark,

> Regarding the example I posted of Century Gothic which has a normal font
> file and a bolditalic font file.  Would that look like this

That depends on what you want to achieve... AFAICT, there are also
GOTHICI.TTF and GOTHICB.TTF for the corresponding style and weight (--at
least they are present on my machine)

The first version you suggest, would lead to FOP using the metrics for
normal/normal in the following cases:

normal/normal
normal/bold
italic/normal

So, in fact, all three would lead to the same result in the output. (italic
or bold will look the same as the normal font).
Only normal/normal and italic/bold will look as they should, since you have
the appropriate metrics for them.

In the second version, the problem remains. That is, FOP will use
italic/bold metrics for:

normal/bold
italic/normal
italic/bold

So these three would all look like italic/bold.

Hope this makes it all a bit clear...

Greetz,

Andreas