From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: Newbe PCL question
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:50:16 GMT
Neither of the manuals of these two printers mention PCL. So I guess
you're right about them not compatible with PCL. I know there are some
ink jet printers that support PCL but they often don't have enough
memory to build up a full page like laser printers do and so the printer
driver has to send stripes, one after another, to fill up the page. It
may very well be that the PCL output from FOP won't work well on these
printers.

On 01.04.2005 09:54:31 Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Charles Griswold wrote:
>
> > I've been trying an example of generating FO for a PCL printer.  I have
> > two printers, a HP 1210 Multifunction and a Canon s820.  I get a printer
> > error when I send the pcl stream to the hp and no response from the Canon.
> > I'm guessing that these printers do not support PCL.  I researched the
> > HP web site and it says that all laserjet printers support PCL but no
> > mention of deskjets.
>
> What did you put in your FO? The PCL Renderer in FOP is very basic and you
> should test your printers using just plain text in your FO. If the FO is
> complicated with lists, tables and lots of graphics, then the PCL Renderer
> wont cope.
>

> > Am  I correct in my thinking that these printer are not compatible with
> > PCL?
> > Is there any java capable solution where a PCL stream can be converted
> > to other formats?
>
> FOP can output Postscript too.

Right. With PostScript you have the possibility to use GhostScript to
create print files for several different printers.

And FOP also prints directly to your printer driver. If I were you and
if possible I'd use the AWT renderer to directly print
to the printer driver. This way you're sure that the printer is
supported. The PostScript and AWT renderers are certainly more complete
than the PCL renderer.

Jeremias Maerki