From Glen Mazza <grm7...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: FOPException: The id "N1056F" already exists in this document
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 16:54:43 GMT
--- Peter Bittner <bittner@teamworks.eu.com> wrote:

> [ERROR] org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: The id
> "N1056F" already exists in
> this document
>
> The *really* strange thing about this is that Saxon
> runs without any
> problems and creates an HTML version of my DocBook
> document. So there is
> obviously no real error, mistake or whatsoever in
> the source itself.

I'm not sure.  The Docbook XSL stylesheets (as opposed
to the Docbook *HTML* stylesheets) apparently use
those new index terms in creating "id" properties.  In
the XSL world, "id"'s must be unique on each
formatting object.  FOP is complaining that it found
the same ID attached to multiple formatting objects,
which is not allowed by the spec, and would raise an
error with any XSL-compliant processor.

The problem is either with your assignment of index
terms (if the Docbook stylesheets match an index term
with an id 1-to-1, then the index terms *must* be
unique) or how Docbook translates those index terms
into XSL property ID's in its stylesheets (if
duplicating index terms makes practical sense, then
the Docbook stylesheets must be able to process them
in a way that it does not generate duplicate id
values).

The solution is either to use unique index terms
throughout, or if that does not sound reasonable (I'm
unsure about Docbook index term semantics), go to the
docbook-apps ML and ask them how to handle the
indexing correctly so that it will work with XSL.

Glen