From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: XSLT and FO Formatting question
Date Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:36:22 GMT
Charles Griswold wrote:
> I have and xml input stream that has text embeded with symbols that I'd
> like to translate into FO command
> For Instance, the text has '##b' and '##/b' to indicate the beginning
> and end of bold text in the output.
> I thought I could replace these sysbols with <fo:block font-weight =
> "bold"> and </fo:block> .
> I don't seem to be able to do a replacement where the FO tags are
> produced correctly. If I substiture the &lt; , &quote; and &gt; symbols
> for the tag symbols I can process the text but the symbols are not
> resolved in the output. If I use the < > character the xslt processor
> complains.
>
> So am I thinking of this the right way?

I don't think so. XSLT can't produce tags, it will produce
nodes only. Replacing text with other text using XSLT wont
insert new XML elements the result, even if the replaced text
resembles XML tags.

You'll have to do stream editing, for example as provided by sed
or perl, for this kind of text substitution, before the input is
fed to an XML parser.

J.Pietschmann