From John Burgess <john.burg...@riskdecisions.com>
Subject Re: Trouble with FOP
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:27:32 GMT
For the page count, put a marker on the last page and get the page
number for the marker.
The following is from the FOP FAQ (distributed with FOP)

        Total Document Pages

It is frequently desirable to know the total number of pages in a
document and to use that number within the document. For example, you
might wish to show the page number on the first page as being "page 1 of
12". To accomplish this, place an empty block with an id at the end of
the flow:

<fo:flow ...>
  <fo:block id="last-page"/>
</fo:flow>

Get the number of the last page as follows:

 <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="last-page"/>

This does not work in certain situations: multiple page sequences, an
initial page number other than 1, or forcing a certain page count,
thereby producing blank pages at the end.

Warning
There is no reliable way to get the real total page count with FO
mechanisms. You can only get /page numbers/.