From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: FOPException: The id "N1056F" already exists in this document
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:56:59 GMT
JBryant@s-s-t.com wrote:
> Is the ID assigned in the source file or generated (perhaps by
> generate-id) at run time? If the former, then I would guess that your
> problem arises from one or more index terms not having unique IDs in the
> source file.

DocBook uses generate-id().

The problem is most likely due to relayouting an object, which in turn
is caused either by a keep property or column rebalancing because of a
span="all" block.

Unfortunately, the DocBook XSLT creates an ID for almost every FO,
whether it is referenced or not. Furthermore, there seems to be no way
to get rid of the quite liberally used keeps.

Common suggestions:
- Don't use multicolumn layouts with DocBook.
- Try to filter out unreferenced IDs, for example with another XSL
   transformation.
- Insert forced page breaks at various points and see whether the
   problem goes away. Examining the DocBook XSLT output for the
   ID in question may provide hints where forced page breaks could
   be useful.
- Kill the ID manually, if it's a one-off document generation.
- If you are stuck, for example because the ID is referenced, use
   another XSLFO processor.

Geez, this should go into the FAQ sometimes.

J.Pietschmann