From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: FOP and Avalon
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 06:34:07 GMT

On 05.07.2005 16:33:41 Wiström, Magnus wrote:
> We have developed a system which uses FOP for generating PDF's. This
> works just fine and there is no issue with the functionality.
> However, our code has been under the scrutiny of a code review and from
> that a concern has been highlighted that we are using FOP which is
> dependent on the abandoned project Avalon (using
> avalon-framework-cvs-20020806.jar).

The Avalon project has been closed, yes, but the maintenance of the
Avalon Framework which we are still using has been transferred to the
Excalibur project.

http://excalibur.apache.org
http://excalibur.apache.org/framework/index.html

> Our customer is concerned that this might be a support/upgrade issue.

I don't think it is. It's published under the Apache license and
therefore the source code is available and can be freely modified if
necessary. Furthermore, the Avalon Framework has been stable for years.

> 1.	Is there any plan on removing the dependency to Avalon on later versions on FOP?

There's no concrete plan because we haven't decided how the parts of
Avalon Framework we're currently using would be replaced. We're still
using the configuration package in Avalon Framework because it's very
handy. After all, it's better to use something existing that works than
something you have to build and test and maintain yourself.

> 2.	Is this support issue at all? I'll guess the FOP project will supply what ever jars
needed.

As Chris already said, the JAR is supplied but you can always get the
source code from here:
http://archive.apache.org/dist/avalon/avalon-framework/

> I'm grateful for any comments that could calm down our customer.

HTH

Jeremias Maerki