From "Dobri Kitipov" <dkiti...@vereo.bg>
Subject Problems with embedded font
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:53:17 GMT
Hi everybody,

My question looks long but it is not =)

I have to generate pdf from xml. The pdf contains Cyrillic, so I generated the needed font
with:

java -cp build\fop.jar;lib\avalon-framework.jar org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader C:\WINNT\Fonts\arial.ttf
 ttfcyrillic.xml

I adopted the example related to XML2PDF case, shipped with fop (embedding.ExampleXML2PDF.java).
I have changed some of the text in the projectteam.xml with Bulgarian text. In addition I
have edited the projectteam2fo.xsl and added font-family="Cyrillic" :

Excerpt 1:

  <!-- ========================= -->

  <!-- child element: member     -->

  <!-- ========================= -->

  <xsl:template match="member">

    <fo:table-row>

      <xsl:if test="function = 'lead'">

        <xsl:attribute name="font-weight">bold</xsl:attribute>

      </xsl:if>

      <fo:table-cell>

        <fo:block font-family="Cyrillic">

          <xsl:value-of select="name"/>

        </fo:block>

      </fo:table-cell>

      <fo:table-cell>

        <fo:block font-family="Cyrillic">

          <xsl:value-of select="function"/>

        </fo:block>

      </fo:table-cell>

      <fo:table-cell>

        <fo:block font-family="Cyrillic">

          <xsl:value-of select="email"/>

        </fo:block>

      </fo:table-cell>

    </fo:table-row>

In userconfig.xml I have:

Excerpt 2:

Here is the configuration code added in the examples:

Excerpt 3:

        //Setup font configuration

        File baseDir = new File(".");

        File userConfiguration = new File(baseDir, "xml/config/userconfig.xml");

        Options options = new Options(userConfiguration);

        String fontBaseDir = "D:/Project/IdeaProjects/FOPTest/classes/config";

        org.apache.fop.configuration.Configuration.put("fontBaseDir", fontBaseDir);

I have edited and set properly the userconfig.xml and the font in the above example. I am
sure it is correct because when do the same with the simpler example FO2PDF ExampleFO2PDF.java
everything work fine! The generated pdf properly display Cyrillic alphabets. When I open it
in AdobeAcrobat and get file's properties there is only on font set - the one I have generated:
Arial(Embedded).

The problem is when I do that in embedding.ExampleXML2PDF.java (with additionally added Excerpt
3). The generated pdf does not properly display Cyrillic alphabets. When I open it in AdobeAcrobat
and get file's properties there are some additional fonts to the one I have generated(Arial(Embedded)).
The additional fonts are: Times-Bold, Helvetica-Bold, Helvetica.

This is my real case I have xml and xsl and I want to generate pdf. When I run the modified
example I see in the console ([ERROR] unknown font Cyrillic,normal,bold so defaulted font
to any):

Real transformation strats ...

[INFO] building formatting object tree

[INFO] setting up fonts

[INFO] [1]

[ERROR] unknown font Cyrillic,normal,bold so defaulted font to any

[ERROR] unknown font Cyrillic,normal,bold so defaulted font to any

[ERROR] unknown font Cyrillic,normal,bold so defaulted font to any

[ERROR] unknown font Cyrillic,normal,bold so defaulted font to any

[ERROR] unknown font Cyrillic,normal,bold so defaulted font to any

[ERROR] unknown font Cyrillic,normal,bold so defaulted font to any

[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser

[DEBUG] Last page-sequence produced 1 pages.

[INFO] Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer

[DEBUG] Initial heap size: 1013Kb

[DEBUG] Current heap size: 2786Kb

[DEBUG] Total memory used: 1772Kb

[DEBUG]   Memory use is indicative; no GC was performed

[DEBUG]   These figures should not be used comparatively

[DEBUG] Total time used: 734ms

[DEBUG] Pages rendered: 1

[DEBUG] Avg render time: 734ms/page

Real transformation ends ...

This is strange because it works fine when FO2PDF is used. Something wrong happens when transformation
over xml with xsl take place.

Do anyone knows what the problem is?!?

PS The same is when I do that in the console.

Thank you in advance!

Dobri Kitipov

Software Expert

Vereo Technologies, Ltd.