From JBry...@s-s-t.com
Subject Re: FOP@ApacheCon last week
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:50:20 GMT
"I think we should start a FOP users/Success stories wiki page"

I could contribute to that. I use FOP for all the document production
needs of a small software company. The documents are as large as 2000
pages, with as many as 25,000 internal links, all fully bookmarked.

If you get such a thing going and post a link, I'll stop by and provide
more depth about what I do with FOP here.

Also, I know of some other successes for FOP. For example, the DITA group
chose FOP for their PDF engine. Consequently, all those DITA users will be
using FOP to produce all kinds of documents. As it happens, I live in the
same city as Don Day (who chairs the DITA Technical Committee), and I've
seen his demonstrations and chatted with him over lunch about it. I
strongly suspect that DITA will gain substantial momentum, and FOP is part
of its toolkit, so FOP will see increasing use. I assume the same is true
of various other open source efforts that need to produce printable
documents.

One of the things I look forward to is DITA's toolkit including FOP 1.0
(and XSLT 2.0, but that's another matter).

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services