From Manuel Mall ...@arcus.com.au>
Subject Re: FOP and right to left layouts
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:02:17 GMT
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:20 pm, mohamed salah wrote:
> Hello All,
> I would like to offer my help in adding Right to left layout support
> to fop. I think I can help because this is my job in the 1st place. I
> work as a BIDI level 3 support in IBM Egypt.
> I can help in doing the following:
> 1- Provide BIDI knowlage base.
> 2- Perform Develpoment tasks
> 3- Perform testing tasks.

Great, all 3 forms of help will be appreciated.

May I suggest as starting points:

1) If you haven't done so get a copy of the latest FOP version and
establish yourself a development environment. Most of the relevant
information for this is either on the FOP website:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/
or the FOP WIKI: http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FrontPage and
especially http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FOPIDESetupGuide.

2) Familiarize yourself with the XSL-FO spec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/) especially  with the
section on BIDI
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/slice5.html#section-N6720-Unicode-BIDI-Processing)

3) There are some thoughts on BIDI and FOP documented on
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FOPWritingModesAndBidiDesign.
You may want to check those.

4) Make yourself familiar with the FOP test system. See:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/HowToCreateLayoutEngineTests.

Come back, ask questions, make suggestions, document ideas on a WIKI
page.... Its largely up to you how to proceed. But this mailing list is
your best friend and don't hesitate to ask questions or for help.

I have a starting question for you: Is there a useable Arabic or Hebrew
or any other r-l font around we can use under the Apache license for
testing?

Thank you

Manuel