From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Using MathML extension with FOP
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 08:27:36 GMT

On 01.11.2005 20:56:23 J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Daniel Kraft wrote:
> > currently I'm experimenting with Apache FOP (current SVN-Trunk build),
> > Is just the MathML extension not good enough, or am I doing something wrong
> > (e.g., am I missing impoprtant properties)?
>
> Chances are you hit a bug in the development snapshot. In general,
> the SVN trunk is not even considered alpha quality.

Jörg, that's a little unfair. FOP Trunk has become really interesting.
Given the amount of automated testing we do in the new code it can't be
called pre-alpha anymore. Sure, there are certain non-central parts that
may not be good enough, yet, but so are many such parts in FOP 0.20.5.

> You might want
> to try the lates stable release, 0.20.5. The math extension is
> available there too.

Is it? Not to my knowledge. At least it's not in the distribution or in
the SVN repository.

Daniel, I've been away last week so I had no chance to chime in earlier.
I'm going to look at this. Your test file does the right thing what FOP
layout is concerned. It's only that JEuclid doesn't seem report the
right extents of the MathML graphic. Or maybe something bad happens in
the MathML extension when the MathML markup is converted to SVG. I'll
investigate and get back to you later this week.

BTW, a few weeks ago there were some people who expressed interest in
improving MathML support. They are working with the JEuclid project to
improve the package and I assume this will bring some improvements to
the MathML extension in FOP as well. Any further help is welcome, of
course.

Jeremias Maerki