From matthias reinert <matthias.rein...@web.de>
Subject Re: Footnotes in RTF
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 23:44:15 GMT
> I wanted to chime in on this, because I share your conclusion that OOo
> does no handle RTF very well at all. My contribution is that Microsoft
> Word Viewer 2003 runs very well under Wine
>
> I would recommend that any work done to the
> RTFHandler be tested using the same software the RTF specification
> author's use. ;-)

Following your recommendation would the Word Viewer 2003 really be the
appropriate test software or MS Word 97 or the RTF-Reader promoted without
support at the RTF-Reference MSDN site or the latest Ms-Word?

For my special purpose RTF was needed primarily for Microsoft Word Users. The
OpenOffice attempt was intended to show me possible errors. I agree that OOo
should be second choice for testing but it would be cool if RTF from FOP
worked in OOo as well.

Yours,
Matthias

PS:
The footnote-thing is not over yet. There is a controlWord like "ftnallt"
written in RTFFootnote which certainly is a typo and should be "ftnalt" which
indicates "show Footnotes at the End, somehow as Endnotes" by the way...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnrtfspec/html/RTFSpec_62.asp?frame=true
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnrtfspec/html/rtfspec_16.asp?FRAME=true#rtfspec_18

F.i. Word97 RTF footnote-numbers seem to be controlled by "\chftn 	Automatic
footnote reference (footnotes follow in a group) & \ftnstartN 	Beginning
footnote number (the default is 1)."  which is not used by FOP-RTF. The
FOP-RTF approach seems to be bound to footnote-creating in xsl-FO, which
makes it hard to create a proper footnote (the footnote-body pair of (number
orreference) plus text is becoming a kind of space separated paragraph in
RTF, the foonotes will be not changeable therefore)

Is someone working on the RTF branch to ask or coordinate?