From Matthew L Daniel <mdan...@scdi.com>
Subject Re: Footnotes in RTF
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 17:38:05 GMT
> A comment about OpenOffice: RTF support in OpenOffice was a big
> disappointment for me so far. I've seen lots of problems even with RTF
> files not produced by FOP. Better go towards OpenDocument... :-)

I wanted to chime in on this, because I share your conclusion that OOo
does no handle RTF very well at all. My contribution is that Microsoft
Word Viewer 2003 runs very well under Wine [I tried it just before they
put out the Beta, but it can only work better, IMHO] and is
free-as-in-beer from microsoft.com.

I'm certain there is some terrible EULA attached, but I'll leave that to
the lawyers to sort out. I would recommend that any work done to the
RTFHandler be tested using the same software the RTF specification
author's use. ;-)

  My USD$0.02,
  -- /v\atthew