From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: Large PDF - Performance
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:46:39 GMT
On Nov 10, 2005, at 18:39, Danny wrote:

Hi,

> I cannot seem to get the performance that I need for this report.
>
> I have tried all of the suggestions that I have found, mostly:
> removal of the # of n page numbering
> multiple page-sequences
>
> Right now it takes 4 min 13 sec (from command line) to produce a
> pdf of 1000
> TRANSACTION elements (from attached detrpt1.xml) ** this xml
> contains only 1
> TRANSACTION element.

Have you tried performing the XSL transformation only, to see whether
that is the bottleneck? Or is it really the FO to PDF step that
performs badly?

If the XSLT stage takes too much time, then either the stylesheet
needs revising, or you could try a different XSLT processor (Saxon
instead of Xalan).

Another possibility: I remember a thread from about a month ago on
fop-users where the OP claimed that using Crimson as XML parser
(instead of Xerces which is the default shipped with FOP) caused a
performance improvement of 3000%. This could also be worth trying,
since your XML input would be rather large...

HTH!

Greetz,

Andreas