From "Michael Dabney" <mdab...@cavoksolutions.com>
Subject RE: AW: AW: FOP Performance
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:04:19 GMT
The way that I'm currently using FOP through PHP is using the PHP/Java Bridge (http://php-java-bridge.sourceforge.net).
I wrote a lightweight Java class that uses the FOP api to generate the PDF. The XSL processing
happens on the PHP side, which passes the resultant XSL-FO to the Java code using the bridge.
This eliminates the load time penalty created by the instantiation of the JVM.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jimmy Dixon [mailto:jimmy.dixon@perfiliate.com]
Sent: Thu 11/10/2005 11:04 AM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: AW: AW: FOP Performance

yes i understand, didnt think you'd be able to - so your just using a
standard system call from PHP? Ive been doing it the same way on our dev
server but it seems too slow - then again I am processing alot of SVG
within the XSL:FO templates and my queries could probally do with some
optimisation. Plus the server itself is non too powerful - there must be
a better way of using FOP programatically though.

Christian Loock wrote:

>We are using PHP to generate "static" XSL-Fo Templates which get filled with data out
of our databases. After this we use a simple console call in PHP which tells FOP to generate
a PDF using the before created FO Template. The results are as good as any standard fop generated
PDF. I don't think i can send you a sample because the PDFs contain sensible Data, I hope
you understand this.

>Christian
>
>-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

but couldnt manage it. He's upgrading the server to Redhat soon so we can try and create PDF
reports on the fly. I think your problem will almost certainy be to do with the Java installation
and configuration you have on the server that doesnt work as well. Im no expert on such things
but I bet if you get it to mirror your Java setup on the server that works better you will
get better results.

>What sort of quality PDF have you managed to generate? Any chance of attaching a sample
PDF?

>Kind Regards.
>Jimmy.
>
>Christian Loock wrote:
>

>>Yes we use PHP? Why?
>>
>>Are there any knwon issues using PHP and FOP together?
>>
>>Christian
>>
>>-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

then delete it from your system; you should not copy, disclose, or distribute its contents
to anyone nor act in reliance on this e-mail, as this is prohibited and may be unlawful. We
check all emails for viruses, but please note that we do not accept liability for any viruses
which may be transmitted in or with this email.