From JBry...@s-s-t.com
Subject Re: Large PDF - Performance
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:57:49 GMT
Hi, Danny,

IMHO, 1001 pages does not approach FOP's limit. I have produced documents
more than twice that size with FOP.

Also, when I produce those documents (data dictionaries for my client),
FOP takes about two minutes to do its thing. However, I do not use Xalan
as my XSLT processor. I use Saxon for the XSLT processor and then use FOP
to transform the FO file into PDF. For the whole process, I need about
three minutes (one for Saxon and two for FOP).

I started using Saxon 8 (currently 8.6) to get some XSLT 2.0 features and
then found that Saxon is a better and faster processor in addition to the
XSLT 2.0 features.

Oh, you might want to look into pre-compiled stylesheets, too. Saxon
supports those. I don't know about Xalan.

FWIW

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

"Danny" <danny.gallagher@gainergroup.com>
11/10/2005 11:39 AM
Please respond to
fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

<fop-user@xml.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Large PDF - Performance

I cannot seem to get the performance that I need for this report.

I have tried all of the suggestions that I have found, mostly:
removal of the # of n page numbering
multiple page-sequences

Right now it takes 4 min 13 sec (from command line) to produce a pdf of
1000
TRANSACTION elements (from attached detrpt1.xml) ** this xml contains only
1
TRANSACTION element.

I have also attached
- DetailRpt.xsl and RptStyle.xsl - the FO files

Am I missing something?

This pdf is 1001 pages when rendered.  Is that approaching the sensible
limit of fop?

Hopefully I have provided the correct information.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Danny Gallagher
The Gainer Group