From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError processing fairly large table to PDF
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 12:40:46 GMT

On 08.02.2006 12:40:00 Nige White wrote:
> Louis.Masters@log-net.com wrote:
>

> > Nige:
> >
> > I can get 8 pages of your PO to render into PDF (around 900 rows I
> > think), but only by increasing my JVM memory to a 400M.  It may be
> > lower, but 400 is all I tested.
> >
> > My env is as follows:
> >
> > FOP 0.20.3
> > JDK 1.4.1
> > Win2K
> > Command line:  java -Xmx400M org.apache.fop.apps.Fop -fo nigehelp.fo
> > -pdf nigehelp.pdf
> >
> > I can send you the PDF if you want?
> >
> So, is it just not possible to output a very large FOP table without it
> buffering the whole thing up in memory?

Not at the moment, no.

> It doesn't make sense. Given that the table layout is fixed, it doesn't
> need to see all the data before rendering, it should stream data out as
> soon as it's ready.

Right. But FOP 0.91/Trunk can't do that at the moment. Currently, the
page breaking always runs over a whole page-sequence (or until a hard
break or span change). Only after a page-sequence is finished will the
memory be released. Help on improving the current state is always
welcome. :-)

> Is there some other way I could display a large grid
> of data?

If you ask me, you're using the wrong tool for your task. Not primarily
because FOP has limitations but also because XSL-FO is just overkill for
your particular use case. I'd investigate JasperReports or any other
reporting engine. These tools are much better suited to handle large
volumes of tabular data.

Jeremias Maerki