From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: TTFReader and MacOsX .ttf fonts
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:04:50 GMT
I've never had my fingers on a Mac-specific TrueType font. And I can't
remember this ever coming up, yet. If the Mac fonts are really a little
different, I guess the TrueType parser should be extended to handle this
subformat, too. That's probably the cleanest approach. However, since
work is still ongoing to use FOrayFont instead of our own font library
(actually FOrayFont is a spin-off off FOP code), things may get a little
more complicated. But I assume it should be relatively simple to port
the changes from FOP to FOrayFont when necessary.

The alternative you have is to simply get the Windows version of your
TrueType fonts and use them.

On 17.02.2006 10:41:06 Torben Lauritzen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am using version 0.91 beta.
>
> I am trying to register OS fonts with FOP, in order to embed them in PDF documents. On
MS windows this works fine, but on MacOSX almost all of the .ttf-fonts cannot be read
> by the org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader. I get an unsupported format error, fx:
>
> - Number of glyphs in font: 841
> - 2 cmap tables
> - Unicode cmap table not present
> - Unsupported format: Aborting
>
> And the reader returns null. As far as I know, the .ttf format on Mac is not exactly
the same as on windows, so the output is fairly fair, but not being able to read .ttf
> files on other platforms kind of disables the platform transparency advantage of Java.
>
> And then to the question:
>
> Does anyone know a workaround - fx a Java converter from Mac .ttf to windows .ttf or
do I have to write my own MacTTFReader?

Jeremias Maerki