From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: FOP Unicode problem
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:08:29 GMT

On 17.02.2006 15:54:29 Sascha Punzmann wrote:
> ok I searched a bit in the mailing list, but couldn't find the right
> thing.

The following may help you:
http://www.nabble.com/RE%3A-when-apache-FOP-will-full-support-font-family-lists-and-font-selection-strategy--t809908.html#a2103632

> Isn't it possible to copy this specail character from the
> "ZapfDingbats" font directly into the font-metric I'm using (I'm using a
> custom one already)? If so, how can I do this?

No, that doesn't work. This is only about the font metrics. It doesn't
mean that the missing character is suddenly and magically available in
the font. The actual glyph will still be missing.

> Maybe there exists a
> documentation about the whole concept behind the font?

Sure: http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/font/index.html
But I guess you will not want to go in the business of patching fonts,
although there are tools out there that could help you. But then,
licensing problems may crop up and things like that. It would be better
to help us implement the full extent of the font-family and
font-selection-strategy properties.

> fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org schrieb am 17.02.06 15:23:59:
> >
> > XSL-FO allows you to specify a list of font names in the font-family
> > property but this is not supported by FOP, yet (FOP uses the first font
> > in the list it supports regardless of the characters to be rendered).
> > You'll have to find a TrueType font that contains all the characters. In
> > that case you're back to creating a XML font metrics file using the
> > TTFReader. You may also want to look through the mailing list archives.
> > I think I remember certain suggestions for alternative work-arounds.
> >
> > On 17.02.2006 15:13:21 Sascha Punzmann wrote:
> > > Yes a lot easier than I thought! But with this I encountered another problem!

> > > my XML looks like this: <para>&#9744; Test text</para>
> > >
> > > if I apply the font-family="ZapfDingbats" then all the para text is
> > > displayed in this font-family. It it possible to set up an optional
> > > font-display it the character isn't available in the primary
> > > font-family?

Jeremias Maerki