From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: FOP Unicode problem
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 02:58:33 GMT
Sascha Punzmann wrote:
> Yes a lot easier than I thought! But with this I encountered another
> problem!
>
> my XML looks like this: <para>&#9744; Test text</para>
>
> if I apply the font-family="ZapfDingbats" then all the para text is
> displayed in this font-family. It it possible to set up an optional
> font-display it the character isn't available in the primary
> font-family?

Now you're back on the track I was on a few months ago, wishing that FOP
could automatically substitute fonts when a character isn't found in the
specified font (Java's font substitution already works in Java2D when
you draw strings, if only it could be used directly for this. ;-))

We got around our issue by using Arial Unicode MS, but I can't guarantee
if that particular font also has the symbols in it (we used it in order
to support CJK and Latin text in the same document without getting
bad-looking Latin text.)

The irritating thing about Arial Unicode MS though, is that it's hard to
find (MS took it down from their font download pages, so it only
officially comes with some versions of Office now) and it's not freely
redistributable.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Australia Pty Ltd
Suite 79, 89 Jones St, Ultimo NSW 2007, Australia
Phone: (02) 9280 0699
Fax:   (02) 9212 6902