From "Manuel Mall" ...@arcus.com.au>
Subject Re: white-space-collapse not working in trunk?
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2006 04:29:34 GMT
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 10:52:07PM +0800, Manuel Mall wrote:
>> On Monday 13 February 2006 21:54, Sven wrote:
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > again a short question: The FAQ is telling that using
>> > white-space-collapse="false" in a <fo:block/> is all you need to
>> > output preformatted text. Well, not for me. Whitespaces will still
>> > collapse. I am using the latest trunk (revision 377250). Am I doing
>> > something worng or is this a bug?
>> >
>> It's a known bug. Especially leading white space, that is white space at
>> the beginning of each line is incorrectly removed.
>
> Is it a bug? The default values of suppress-at-line-break="auto" and
> white-space-treatment="ignore-if-surrounding-linefeed" specify that
> the space character is removed around a line break, even when
> white-space-collapse="false". I refer here to the draft of XSL 1.1,
> which in our opinion clarifies the confusing corresponding parts of
> XSL 1.0. See our efforts to come to grips with this on the Wiki:
> http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/LineLayout/WhitespaceHandling.
>
> Note that TeX would show a similar behaviour: It removes white space
> at the start of a line, even when white space is not collapsed.
>
> Maybe you should use a zero-width fo:inline element at the start of
> the line to suppress the suppression.

Simon,

you are correct white-space-collapse="false" doesn't preserve white space
around line breaks. The FAQ refers to 0.20.5 but for 0.91 trunk the
shorthand property white-space="pre" should be used or its expanded
equivalents:
   linefeed-treatment="preserve"
   white-space-collapse="false"
   white-space-treatment="preserve"
   wrap-option="no-wrap"

If you do that the bug I was referring to would show because
white-space-treatment="preserve" is not correctly implemented.

> Regards, Simon

Manuel