From "Tim Dyck" <T...@dis-corp.com>
Subject RE: problems with printing: fop-0.91
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:49:11 GMT
Sorry, I am pretty new to this stuff (just started looking at it
yesterday).

Not sure exactly what output renderer I am using at this point, but I
believe I am using the following renderer (that is what I saw in the
debugger):

  application/X-fop-awt-preview

and once the awt preview is opened then I click on the print button
which calls back into the AWTRenderer (which implements pageable) and
that is what is failing to print correctly.

Also, are you saying there is another way to print via FOP with a PDF
file or are you just saying open up a PDF file in Acrobat Reader and
print it?

Thanks,

Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Manuel Mall [mailto:manuel@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:45 PM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: problems with printing: fop-0.91

Tim,

you didn't say which renderer (output format) you used for your attempts
at printing. If you used PCL that renderer is non functional in the FOP
0.91 release (that's why it is in the sandbox area). See also
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/status.html.

Your best option is probably to go via PDF and print the PDF file.
Actually the very best option is if you could find the time to fix the
PCL
renderer :-).

Manuel

> [...]
> just fine (also tried printing a PDF file generated from a fo using
> PDFBox but had no such luck).  Also, when viewing any of the files
using
> the ExampleAWTViewer they all look fine just when I go to print to
> either a printer or the PDFCreator do I see issues.  I am currently
> using windows XP and am using JDK 1.5.0_05.  Any ideas or suggestions
on
> how I can print and get something to print correctly?  Is anyone else
> seeing these issues?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Tim.
>

> ----- Code - same code as the ExampleXML2FO.java file just modified it
> to also pop open a print preview of the file to print:
>

> /*
>
>  * Copyright 1999-2004 The Apache Software Foundation.
>
>  *
>
>  * Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
>
>  * you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
>
>  * You may obtain a copy of the License at
>
>  *
>
>  *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>
>  *

>  * distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
>
>  * WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or
> implied.
>
>  * See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
>
>  * limitations under the License.
>
>  */
>

> /* $Id: ExampleXML2FO.java 332791 2005-11-12 15:58:07Z jeremias $ */
>

> package embedding;
>

> //Java
>
> import java.io.File;
>
> import java.io.IOException;
>
> import java.io.OutputStream;
>

> //JAXP
>
> import javax.xml.transform.Transformer;
>
> import javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory;
>
> import javax.xml.transform.TransformerException;
>
> import javax.xml.transform.Source;
>
> import javax.xml.transform.Result;
>
> import javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamResult;
>
> import javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamSource;
>

> /**
>
>  * This class demonstrates the conversion of an XML file to an XSL-FO
> file
>
>  * using JAXP (XSLT).
>
>  */
>
> public class ExampleXML2FO {
>

>     /**
>
>      * Converts an XML file to an XSL-FO file using JAXP (XSLT).
>
>      * @param xml the XML file
>
>      * @param xslt the stylesheet file
>
>      * @param fo the target XSL-FO file
>
>      * @throws IOException In case of an I/O problem
>
>      * @throws TransformerException In case of a XSL transformation
> problem
>
>      */
>
>     public void convertXML2FO(File xml, File xslt, File fo)
>
>                 throws IOException, TransformerException {
>

>         //Setup output
>
>         OutputStream out = new java.io.FileOutputStream(fo);

TransformerFactory.newInstance();

>             Transformer transformer = factory.newTransformer(new
> StreamSource(xslt));
>

>             //Setup input for XSLT transformation
>
>             Source src = new StreamSource(xml);
>

>             //Resulting SAX events (the generated FO) must be piped
> through to FOP
>
>             Result res = new StreamResult(out);
>

>             //Start XSLT transformation and FOP processing
>
>             transformer.transform(src, res);
>
>         } finally {
>
>             out.close();
>
>         }
>
>     }
>

>     /**
>
>      * Main method.
>
>      * @param args command-line arguments
>
>      */

>         try {
>
>             System.out.println("FOP ExampleXML2FO\n");
>
>             System.out.println("Preparing...");
>

>             //Setup directories
>
>             File baseDir = new File(".");
>
>             File outDir = new File(baseDir, "out");