From Louis.Mast...@log-net.com
Subject Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError processing fairly large table to PDF
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 12:40:42 GMT
Nige:

Memory utilization is a big discussion point in these newsgroups and there
have been many suggestions posted here.  Since I am on an older copy of
FOP, I am hoping the rewrite helps out a bit with memory use (since you
are using the rewrite and running into issues I am a bit nervous about it)
and I really can not recommend anyhting until I upgrade.  In my production
environment, the machines have a Gig or two or RAM, we can usually output
docs with several hundred pages before we start running into resource
issues.  The biggest improvement that I have seen to date is the use of
multiple page sequences.  This practice saves us roughly 1/3 memory almost
across the board.  It does have its side affects in that each page
sequence break causes a page break and the resulting report can look a bit
off.

With that said, the only other observation I have is that your table did
put a big load on my system for the relatively small amount of data being
rendered.  Try running it with debugging and see if any messages clue you
in on a problem.  Also, you can try breaking up the table into multiple
smaller ones to see if it helps.

-Lou

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LOG-NET, Inc.
The Logistics Network Management System
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
230 Half Mile Road
Third Floor
Red Bank, NJ 07701
PH: 732-758-6800
FAX: 732-747-7497
http://www.LOG-NET.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED
Unless otherwise indicated or if obvious from the nature of the content,
the information contained herein is privileged and confidential
information/work product. The communication is intended for the use of the
individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this transmission is
not the intended recipient, you are  hereby notified that any
notify the sender immediately by telephone (732-758-6800) or by electronic
mail (postmaster@LOG-NET.com), and destroy any copies, electronic, paper
or otherwise, which you may have of this communication.  Thank you.